Saturday, December 29, 2012

Saunders, Marcum, Myers seeking two year deals, should the Mets even bother?

According to Lavelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Joe Saunders, Shaun Marcum, and Brett Myers are all seeking two year deals this off-season. Last week, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post said that the Mets were interested in Saunders and Marcum, as well as Carl Pavano, Francisco Liriano (who signed with Pittsburgh shortly after) and Chris Young. 

I'll stick to my word and continue to say that Marcum is the best pitcher out there. The team can get him for cheap considering that his injury-plagued 2012 season completely threw off his value as a pitcher. A two year deal for him isn't a crazy request, and I definitely expect him to get it from someone. 

Saunders, like I said a few days ago, wouldn't be a terrible option as long as the price is right. He has had success in the American League and I would imagine that his numbers would improve in the NL East, so perhaps he would be a decent addition.

I would not give Myers a two year deal, simply because of his age. He had a good season with the Astros in 2012, but kind of struggled after he was traded to the White Sox. His inconsistency kind of scares me, but you know that he will give you innings, and that is currently what the Mets are looking for. Like I said a two year deal is the wrong path to go down here, but if they could get him for cheap on a one year deal I'd certainly agree to that.

I feel like the Liriano deal of last week really set the bar for the pitcher's market this off-season. Obviously once Greinke came off the board, all of the second-tiered pitchers' values came up, and now we are starting to see some teams being desperate enough to give them huge contracts (Edwin Jackson for example.) I know for a fact that Alderson is being very careful in this year's market, and will hesitant to give anyone a multiyear deal. But like I said, Shaun Marcum would be the best option out of all these pitcher's, and I can certainly see Alderson signing him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment