Monday, December 3, 2012

Wrapping up the first day of the Winter Meetings

The Winter Meetings just kicked off today, and we have seen some free agent signings already. Most of these players were out of Alderson's price range, so it not a surprise to see them go elsewhere. Mike Napoli inked a three year deal with the Red Sox, the Giants re-signed Angel Pagan, and the Rangers signed Joakim Soria. Those are pretty much the three top signings of the day, and I would hope that we see more trades tomorrow. 

As for the Mets, they have been reportedly been taking offers for R.A. Dickey all day long, and a trade this week seems likely from what I can gather. This is a tough situation to decipher, because we do not know the full details of the negotiation process between Dickey and the Mets, but I know one thing : If the Mets do not sign Dickey to an extension, he will be dealt sometime this winter. The Red Sox apparently have quite a bit of interest in the 38 year old knuckle-baller, and the Mets reportedly asked for an outfield prospect named Jackie Bradley Jr., a shortstop prospect named Xavier Bogaerts, and presumably a catcher like Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

We have also heard that the Mets are going to meet with Cesar Izturis' agents sometime this week, and may consider signing him as infield depth. In my eyes, Izturis is a guy who cannot hit at all, and his defense is all he has left. If they inked him to a minor league deal I wouldn't throw a fit, but I would just like to see the team going after higher caliber free agents.

Lastly, the Mets are showing interest in free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick, who I want to stay away from Queens. I recently wrote an article about how I don't want Ludwick (Or Pagan) in Queens, and I'll stick to my word. Ludwick is going to require more of a commitment -- something that is unnecessary at this point in time. 

As for tomorrow, I really hope the Mets start swinging some trades, because this roster needs a shakeup, and it starts with trading R.A. Dickey. It wouldn't surprise me if he was dealt sometime this week, but the Mets better get some solid pieces in return or I will be heartbroken. I will be doing another one of these recap articles tomorrow night as well, so check that out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment