Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Mets should NOT acquire Alexei Ramirez

The Chicago White Sox recently announced that they will be sellers at this year's trading deadline. Anyone on the team's roster not named Paul Konerko or Chris Sale is available. Last week an MLB executive suggested to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that the Mets may be a good landing spot for shortstop Alexei Ramirez. 

I like Ramirez, he's been relatively underrated throughout his career. He has a good combination of power and speed, and his defense is splendid. However, I would not like the Mets to target him next month. 

I'd be lying if I told you that I don't think the Mets should look for a new shortstop, but there are better options than Ramirez. At age 31, there is no point of bringing him in as he would not be part of the team's future plans. 

Let's put things in perspective: Ramirez is currently hitting .280 with ONE home run in 311 at-bats for the White Sox this season. He has clearly lost his power stroke, and that alone is concerning. He seems to be slowly digressing his game, and I do not want the Mets stuck with yet another overpriced, under performing veteran. 

I think Sandy Alderson is smart enough to stay away from Ramirez. Ramirez probably wouldn't cost too much, but financially do the Mets really want to commit to him? I would imagine that Sox would kick in some money in a potential deal to get a better prospect, but I still do not want any part of Ramirez.

I know people may disagree, but Ramirez is not an option for the Mets right now. His diverting skills and sudden loss of power are extremely concerning, and at 31 years old he really would serve as a stopgap at best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment