Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Mets should NOT sign Arroyo this winter

Mike Puma of the New York Post recently said that pitcher Bronson Arroyo could be targeted by the Mets this winter. Arroyo, 36, is 14-11 with a 3.60 ERA in 31 starts in his eighth season with the Reds. He expressed interest in coming to New York.

"I definitely think the Mets are a team that I would look at," Arroyo told Puma. "There's going to be some ballclubs, maybe like the Mets, that have a nice mix of young arms, but need somebody to kind of anchor a rotation with 200 innings, so it's going to be a very interesting off-season for me."

I've liked Arroyo, and I always have. Normally I would advocate signing him, but to my understanding he will likely demand a big deal, perhaps a three year deal, and at age 36 I don't know if he'll continue to pitch at the level he is right now. There is no question that Arroyo is a work-house, and he would be an ideal fit for the Mets rotation, but they need to concentrate their money spending on big hitters. Their pitching depth is fine right now, so obtaining Arroyo isn't a must.

The Mets need to prioritize everything this winter. Pitching, with or without Harvey, is pretty much under control. However, the offense is going to need to get going. That said, I'd rather have the team go out, sign a Hunter Pence or Shin-Soo Choo, and give Terry Collins another weapon in his lineup. No disrespect for Arroyo, I just think he'll be too expensive, and not worth all of the money that he'll wind up getting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment