Thursday, November 15, 2012

Would you unload the farm system to acquire Stanton?

The Marlins are nearing the end of their most recent fire sale, but still have a few players to trade. The club doesn't have a cent committed to the 2014 payroll, which is unbelievable if you really think about it. The team is currently looking to trade Ricky Nolasco and Logan Morrison, and I would assume that they will be done with their fire sale after that. However, after the unofficial announcement of that blockbuster trade, outfielder Giancarlo Stanton tweeted something that expressed his displeasure of being a Marlin. I mean, who wouldn't right? Anyway, if he is unhappy about the whole situation, he could actually be dealt as well. The Marlins have clearly stated that they intend to hold onto him, but I think that if the right package comes rolling along they'll jump on it. 

With that in mind I don't expect the Mets to be involved in his sweepstakes, but it is sure fun to dream isn't it? Let's play a fun game here and pretend that we actually had a GM that was aggressive and would make these type of moves. Now, let's come up with a few trade scenarios that would bring Stanton to Queens. Obviously you have to start a package around Wheeler or Harvey-most likely Wheeler. Then you throw in a player like Wilmer Flores, who is probably not going to be used in the future unless Wright is traded. I doubt that the Marlins would bite on that (pun intended), so then you add a guy like Jeurys Familia, whose wildness may concern Miami, so one more player would probably be needed. You would probably have to throw in Lucas Duda-type player, and then I think the Marlins would consider it. So, Wheeler, Familia, Duda, and Flores for Stanton. Seems like a good deal for both sides.
False. I know the idea of acquiring Stanton is extremely tempting, but I wouldn't unload my precious farm system for one guy, even if that one guy is very young with incredible raw power. You cannot build your team around a single player, so with that in mind I wouldn't do the trade. I would give it a heavy consideration, but would ultimately reject it. 

Now, you are probably saying, what is the point of this article? My point here is, don't trade for Stanton, because you are going to have to massively overpay to get him. I don't think that Alderson is going to make any attempt to even ASK about his availability  so I think that our farm system is safe for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment