Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mets sign Wells, Roche to minor league deals

Roche
The Mets have signed pitcher Andy Wells and outfielder James Roche to minor league contracts. Wells will report to minor league camp, and Roche will report to extended Spring Training next month. Wells played for the York Revolution (Independent League) last season, posting a 16.62 ERA in 3 appearances. Roche played for the Newark Bears of the Independent League in 2012, hitting .278 in 36 games. 

I don't understand what Alderson sees in either of these players, but I usually try to hold back my criticism when he signs players to minor league deals. There is no risk involved, however, I don't understand the signing of Wells. The guy pitched in 3 games last season and did terrible, so I wonder if Alderson owed him a favor or something. Roche, on the other hand, had a semi-decent season at the plate, but I highly doubt that we will ever see him in a Mets uniform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment