Monday, November 5, 2012

How to handle the David Wright situation

After losing Jose Reyes via free agency last off-season, the Mets face another crisis that could cost them their other cornerstone infielder. Financial constraints have really made many Met fans like myself doubt whether the team will be able to retain Wright for the long-term. GM Sandy Alderson has made it his priority to re-sign the 29 year old third baseman before he hits the open market next winter, but we honestly cannot go by what he is saying. 

Some fans actually want Wright to be traded for prospects, considering that he is coming off a strong season and would net a king's ransom. Honestly, if Wright wasn't my favorite player I'd say, Yeah, go ahead and trade him that would make sense for a rebuilding club. However, seeing Wright in a different uniform would break my heart, and I don't think I, or several other Met fans, would be pleased with it. 

Now the Mets recently picked up his option for the 2013 season, and it was worth $16 million. That kind of money is going to definitely impact the 2013 payroll, as the team has only about $5-10 million worth of wiggle room with their payroll. Since we are on the subject of money, it is no surprise that Wright is going to ask for a bloated contract, considering that the guy is one of the best third basemen in the game, and is entering his prime. I highly doubt that he is going to get a deal over $200 million, but something along the lines of 6-7 yrs, $160-175 million is likely. Wright will probably seek $20+ million, and I have a feeling that Alderson will give in. 

The Wright situation is such a tough one because it makes so much sense to just trade him away for prospects, but keeping him around shows that the team is not willing to rebuild, rather retool and reload. Perhaps in the coming weeks I'll come up with a few trade scenarios that would benefit the Mets, but I'll stick to my word and say that the Mets should hold onto Wright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment