Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mets, Bay, agree to terminate contract

The Mets announced that they have agreed with Jason Bay to terminate his contract, meaning that Bay will receive money and become a free agent. New York will give him $21 million-his $16 million for the 2013 season, his $3 million buyout for 2014, and $2 million of his original $8.5 million signing bonus. 

"I still feel I have plenty to give to this game and that I can play baseball at a high level. But after serious consideration, both sides agree that we would benefit from a fresh start," said Bay in a statement. "I'm grateful we were able to reach an agreement to allow that to happen. I’m excited to keep playing and have no intention of just walking away. I enjoyed my time in New York. I have no regrets in signing with the Mets, other than that I wasn’t able to play to the level that the team, the fans and I all expected and that we weren’t able to win more games. I move on with nothing but an appreciation for the organization and its fans and best wishes to all my teammates there."

Bay signed a four year, $66 million contract with the Mets after the 2009 season, and he hit .234 with only 26 homers in 1,125 total plate appearances in his time with New York. Before joining the Mets, he finished seventh in the MVP voting, hitting .267 with 36 home runs with the Red Sox.

My take: The day has come! Bay will no longer be wearing a Mets uniform! I have to say this is a somewhat classy way to go out by Bay, because he understands that New York is just not the right city for him, and I hope he has success elsewhere. I can't blame former GM Omar Minaya for the Bay signing, because let's be honest, how many of us saw this coming? Bay was dreadful for the Mets, and I honestly doubt that he ever returns to being a star. However, like I said before, I wish him the best, because he is a great guy and you don't want to see people like him struggling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment